Regardless of whether you use PayPal, Square, or have your own merchant account, there are some essential precautions you must take if your business takes credit cards. This is especially important if you receive the card numbers over the phone, via fax, or from a secure web form, because “card not present” transactions have different rules than point of sale terminals. Our Credit Card Handling program will provide an introduction to the Payment Card Industry (PCI) requirements and how they apply to you, including the following highlights.
- Secure ways to receive card numbers for “card not present” transactions
- How the rules have changed with PCI DSS v3
- An understanding of what you’re allowed and required to do – and not do – with credit card data
- The consequences of not following the rules – even if you don’t have a merchant account
- Who really owns the card
- It’s not who you may think